Data Security refers to the protection of data, such as a database, from the unwanted actions of unauthorized users. It usually refers to the security of data that is stored in your computer from hackers and theft. Several methods may be used to ensure the security of important data. Some of these are as follows;
Disk Encryption Hardware:
This technique does not depend on the OS to be active or available for it to work. However, this method has generally been criticized. It is considered to be poorly documented and the user finds it very hard to properly follow the encryption method. It’s also fairly expensive, with many companies prohibiting it because of the high cost of replacing the existing system. It also increases the risk of vendor lock-in.
This is considered to be the best way to secure and protect your data. It basically encrypts your data and makes it inaccessible unless the user enters the right key or password to unlock it. It passively protects data confidentiality even when the OS is not active. Because of its low cost and better reliability, it is considered to be the most popular form of data security. Some popular examples of data security include Folder Lock, USB Secure, Copy Protect, etc.
It is a process of hiding or masking a particular part of data so as to protect sensitive information from exposure. For example, banking customer representatives can only see the last 4 digits of a customer’s national identity number.
Data erasure is a method of software-based overwriting that destroys all electronic data residing on a hard drive or any other digital device so that no sensitive data is leaked when an asset is retired or reused. Data security isn’t just essential for businesses or large organizations. In today’s world of hackers and theft, it has become a need for any person who uses computer or a smartphone device.
Types Of Data Security
1. Network security: This type of security involves protecting data from unauthorized access by controlling access to networks, data and resources.
2. Application security: This type of security involves protecting data from malicious code and other threats by using authentication, encryption, and other measures.
3. Physical security: This type of security involves protecting data from physical theft or damage by using physical barriers, locks, and other measures.
Elements Of Data Security
1. Access control: This involves controlling who has access to data, networks, and resources.
2. Confidentiality: This involves ensuring data is only accessed by authorized personnel.
3. Integrity: This involves protecting data from unauthorized modification or destruction.
4. Availability: This involves ensuring data is always accessible when needed.
Example Of Data Security
Examples of data security measures include encryption, authentication, access control, data backup, data loss prevention, and disaster recovery.
Purpose Of Data Security
The purpose of data security is to protect data from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. By implementing data security measures, organizations can ensure that their data is secure and protected from malicious actors, data breaches, and other security threats. Data security measures also help organizations maintain compliance with data privacy regulations and protect their customers’ data.