The term ‘document’ is a vast term that does not only imply a word or excel file. A document could be anything like notepad file, power point presentation, and other file having data inside it. If compared, saving documents is the most important step one should take as it takes years for us to create these docs and losing their ownership would be disastrous. The document having any confidential information like a secret formula, recipe, lyrics to a song etc. all can be protected with the help of copy protection’s password protection feature.
The process of how you can Copy Protect Documents
Imagine a scenario where a screenwriter who wrote his first script and sent it to producers but didn’t hear back; and after a few months when he was watching a movie, he realized the story and characters that he created for his script were all flickering on screen. This is the reason why many writers are just too afraid of sharing their work with anyone. But if they don’t share their screenplay with producers, they will not get paid for their work. Therefore, they need a way to share their creative artwork in such a way that other can read their story but cannot copy or distribute it without your permission.
Copy Protect is a specialized data copy protection software that lets you copy protect your scripts, screenplays, stories, novels, poems, articles and other creative writing material or important documents. With Copy Protect, you can share our ideas with your peers without enabling them to copy your whole story.
Copy Protect works by converting your files into copy protected executable application using advanced multilayer copy protection technology which cannot in any way be tampered with. Add files to Copy Protect that you want to protect from being copied illegally, select the drive or medium where you want to save these copy protected files and Voila!
Copy Protect converts all supported formats into copy protected applications and burns them to a CD/DVD or copy them to a portable or fixed drive so that you can freely share this drive or CD/DVD with anyone without the fear of data being copied or stolen.
Follow these simple steps to copy protect your documents and files:
- Download Copy Protect and install it on your computer.
- Run the program and the Copy Protect Main Application Wizard will open.
- Click ‘Start’ button to commence the process of copy protection.
- From here, you can add your documents which you want to copy protect. The program will show you a list of files which you have added to Copy Protect along with their formats, file location and size.
- Now click ‘Next’ button.
- You can rename your files by double-clicking on file name. This screen shows you estimated time required to convert files into copy protected application along with the estimated size required on portable medium where you want to save these files.
- Click ‘Next’ button to continue.
- Now, select drive where you want to save your copy protected files. You can choose either a local drive location, portable drive location or a CD / DVD drive.
- The program also lets you choose burning option if you have selected a CD or DVD as your destination drive. You can choose the level of security you wish to obtain.
- Note: Windows Vista & Windows 7 support both secure and highly secure burning methods while Windows XP only supports secure level of burning.
- Once burned, you can freely distribute this drive or CD/DVD to anyone without the fear of data being copied or duplicated without your permission.
Difference between copy protection and encryption
When you copy protect a file, you convert your file into a ‘read-only’ file that cannot be edited if sent to another person/system. This option enables you to highlight your talents to the masses or target audience without the fear of setting patent rights as nobody could copy it for their own self. Encryption however works differently, as the files will not be accessible once encrypted and can only be decrypted using a password. Encryption even if hacked would not allow the hacker to access the protected files as the encrypted data stays in the raw form and cannot be decoded unless a password is used to decrypt it.